MOVE YOUR DNA: RESTORE YOUR HEALTH THROUGH NATURAL MOVEMENT (EXPANDED EDITION)
BY KATY BOWMAN
Paperback, ebook, and audiobook available direct from the author
Also available at these stores and everywhere fine books are sold
RELEASE DATE: MAY 1,2017
Bestselling Move Your DNA has shaken up the health and fitness world with this message: there is more to movement than exercise.
“A landmark in explaining biomechanics.” Dr. Joan Vernikos, Former Director of NASA’s life science division and author of Sitting Kills, Moving Heals.
It’s often said that “movement is medicine,” but rarely is the “how” behind the power of movement explained. It’s not only our whole body that’s moving; our cells are being moved as our limbs push and pull to locomote us around, and each movement moves our cells uniquely.
Some of the “big ideas” in this paradigm-shifting book include:
- The human body evolved to a tremendous amount of certain movements―like walking, squatting, hanging, and carrying―loads our bodies still require to work well, even though they’re mostly gone from our “convenience-centric” culture.
- Many of the ailments we face today relate to how little we move and how stiff our bodies are when we do move. Body issues are often more accurately symptoms of “movement malnutrition.”
- Why a physical therapist or personal trainer is coaching you in alignment or “good form”: we’re adapting most to our daily positioning!
- It’s not only “move more,” it’s “move more of your body parts!” (All bodies, couch potatoes to high-level athletes have areas that can be nourished with better movement.)
- We’re using exercise like “movement vitamins” instead of addressing the deeper issue of a poor movement diet. We should be using both!
Move Your DNA also contains:
- 40+ corrective exercises to help you find your “sticky spots”―areas of your body that just aren’t moving (even when the rest of you moves a lot)
- alignment checks and a guide to increasing your walking movements
- simple lifestyle changes to get you moving more (without always needing to add exercise!).
Keen laypeople, yoga and pilates teachers, fitness enthusiasts, personal trainers, physical therapists, and athletes can all use this humorous, passionate, and science-based guide to finally getting the movement every body requires.
Move Your DNA is a gift of complex information presented in an easily actionable style. Katy Bowman reminds us we are not in fact at the mercy of our genes―and she shares how to get started right away. ―Gabrielle Reece, professional athlete and author of My Foot Is Too Big For The Glass Slipper.
Move Your DNA is one of the most important books I’ve ever read. If you’ve suspected “nutritious” movement is as important to your health as nutritious food, you’re right. This book explains why. ―Robb Wolf, author of The Paleo Solution
Bowman covers some complicated topics, including physics, biology, kinesiology, and mathematics, but her tone is light, conversational, and often humorous, making learning from her effortless. Skillful use of analogy and metaphor makes complex topics accessible. For example, Bowman explains that loads are akin to the bending and rustling of a tree on a windy day and that inactivity can lead to disease in a way similar to that of a confined orca that develops a floppy fin. Move Your DNA is enjoyable, convincing, and sure to change the way fitness buffs (and coach potatoes) move. ―Foreword Reviews [First Edition Review]
This is a powerful, thought-provoking “must” for any collection strong in not just health routines, but in health science. ―Midwest Book Review
I would recommend this book to everyone. Whether you’ve been doing the fitness thing for years or are an absolute beginner, you will find seeds of wisdom to help you move more and better. Move Your DNA is a paradigm shifter that acknowledges the complexity of modern movement habits while also providing helpful ways to improve and grow. ―Breaking Muscle [First Edition Review]
A pioneering and necessary book and an instant classic. ―Eden G. Fromberg, DO, for The Huffington Post [Review of First Edition]
A groundbreaking book that makes the case that exercise is not enough. ―Pilates Style Magazine
Bestselling author, speaker, and a leader of the Movement movement, biomechanist Katy Bowman, M.S., is changing the way we move and think about our need for movement. Her eight books, including the groundbreaking Move Your DNA, have been translated into more than a dozen languages worldwide.
Bowman teaches movement globally and speaks about sedentarism and movement ecology to academic and scientific audiences such as the Ancestral Health Summit and the Institute for Human and Machine Cognition. Her work is regularly featured in diverse media such as the Today Show, CBC Radio One, the Seattle Times, the Joe Rogan Experience, and Good Housekeeping.
One of Maria Shriver’s “Architects of Change” and an America Walks “Woman of the Walking Movement,” Bowman consults on educational and living space design to encourage movement-rich habitats. She has worked with companies like Patagonia, Nike, and Google as well as a wide range of non-profits and other communities to create greater access to her “move more, move more body parts, move more for what you need” message.
Her movement education company, Nutritious Movement, is based in Washington State, where she lives with her family.